Can you wear leather boots in the rain? The answer is YES, of course, you can. Genuine leather is a material, which can naturally repel or resist water. However, there are a couple of important facts you should consider before deciding if you want to take your leather boots out on the rain or not.
Leather and water
1. Leather is an animal's skin, typically cow's, and we all know they don't have a problem standing out on rain. However, depending on the type of production, leather shoes have various resistance to water.
2. Leather is not as effective as Gora-Tex material; however, leather footwear can keep your feet dry on a rainy day very efficiently.
3. By using the right kind of protective agents, we can make leather completely resistant to water.
4. It depends on the type of leather, but water can damage, or should we say change the looks of your leather shoes.
5. Water can alter leather footwear's shape; it can shrink them or enable you to stretch them, which is often the case if boots are made of soft leather.
Proper leather protection is essential.
If you decide to wear your leather footwear on rainy days, you should protect them beforehand properly. There are many different treatments like leather conditioners, dubbing wax, footwear re-proofers, protective sprays, and many other products that can maximize the ability of leather to resist water,
3 essential things to consider:
- Make sure to consider the dye or finish of the boots and find out which product is safe to use.
- Clean your footwear before applying a protective agent and make sure it is not wet.
- Let your boots seat for at least a day after applying a protective agent to maximize the effect.
Even if we put the rain aside, the regular and proper care of your leather footwear makes a huge difference and is very important to do it properly and regularly. Only by doing so will you keep your boots in their best possible shape for as long as possible.
Dry your shoes properly
If your boots do get wet, it is essential to dry them as soon as possible and meticulously. The best way to dry them is naturally, by placing them into a humid-free environment and let them dry.
It is vital to dry both shoes' exterior and interior. Moreover, to preserve the shape of the boots, you should stick some newspaper inside them. Afterward, place your shoes on their side and let them dry.
Note: YOU SHOULD NEVER USE HAIRDRYERS OR OTHER SOURCES OF EXCESSIVE HEAT! Doing so is highly likely to deform your boots permanently.
Can you wear leather boots in the rain? YES, but make sure to consider all of the above suggestions. Protect them in advance and dry them properly.
Furthermore, make sure you think well in advance; if you plan to wear your leather boots on rainy days, make sure you purchase the ones with greater water resistance. There are many with a waterproof layer available on the market.
However, if you are in love with your leather boots and would be devastated if they got damaged, it is better to keep them for dry days. You should keep in mind that other parts of footwear can get damaged when exposed to water, such as glues, embellishments, metal zips, insoles, etc.